One of the services I provide is social media assistance. Specifically, I find and share great blog content, quotes, and other media that inspires my clients' audiences, many of whom are yogis and other wellness enthusiasts. You’d think this would be easy. After all, there are so many yoga and wellness blogs out there, right?
Well, yes. There are a lot of yoga blogs and websites, but I have a surprisingly difficult time finding “go-to” sites that stand out as sources of great blog content I can share.
Do you have one? I’d love to see it! (Feel free to send me a link!)
Not sure if you have one? I have a few tips for you. Obviously, you want to be sure you have well-written posts, but there's more. If you want your content to be shared, there are a few features you need to include.
Case in point: I did some blog ghostwriting for a yoga client a while back. So, I know I like the content! The problem is, when my client designed his website and posted the pieces I wrote, he didn’t make the content shareable. So, while I’d love to share those posts on social media, I usually don’t.
Five Simple Ways to Be Sure Your Great Blog Content is Also Shareable
1. Write well. I know. I said this already, but it’s important. I’m not suggesting you need to be an award-winning writer, just that you should organize your thoughts concisely and minimize typos and grammatical errors. No, one or two mistakes won’t hurt (you’re human after all), but I promise you, your readers will get a subconscious message if your posts are riddled with errors.
2. Use short paragraphs, headings, and numbered or bulleted lists. I still come across blog posts that are just a few long paragraphs with no headings or other way to break up the text. That’s fine if you’re writing a print book, but your online readers will get tired quickly if you don’t give their eyes a break!
3. Use social share buttons, and be sure they work! Be sure, too, that it’s obvious which icons are for sharing and your content and which are for connecting with you on social media. It shouldn’t be a surprise that your content is easier to share with a simple click of a social share icon. The alternative is to copy the link, go to my Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest page and share from there. I don’t do that often. Other potential ambassadors for your content won’t either.
4. Include an eye-catching image. You’ve heard that a picture is worth a thousand words, right? I’d take it a step further and point out that a thousand words are also worth a thousand words. And the picture and words together are worth much more than 2000 words. There’s no replacement for prose—for dialogue with your reader that encourages, inspires, or informs. But images enrich prose by appealing to more of our senses. They also call attention to content in an undeniable way.
5. Make sure your image can be shared easily. That means that when someone clicks the social share icons I mentioned earlier, they will be able to share the post and the image. People are much more likely to notice, click on, and read a post if they are attracted to it by a colorful image that helps tell the story.
So, now that you know what makes your already great blog content shareable as well, you may have a bit of tweaking to do. I hope you’ll do it, because the easier you make it for like-minded folks the share the love, the more likely they’ll do it and help get your message out there!
Need help with content creation or social media? Contact me anytime for a free brainstorming session!